Full Metal Jacket quotes about war and the process of getting ready for it and living through it.
Full Metal Jacket is a dark humor war movie made in 1987. It is a psychological drama that follows a platoon of Marines from boot camp through Vietnam.
During boot camp, the movie focuses on two privates, Pyle and Joker, and their abusive drill instructor. We see how tough training for war is, especially from the psychological side as Joker and Pyle deal with different things.
While Pyle is slower and dim-witted, Joker is supposed to take him under his wing and he does, but he also feels bad about going against him in some things. Joker sees his buddy change and worries about his mental state. That worry is an indication of what happens next. Enjoy these Full Metal Jacket quotes!
Don’t forget to also check out these Fight Club quotes that will get your adrenaline pumping.
Best Full Metal Jacket Quotes and Lines from Gunnery Sergeant Hartman (Drill Instructor)
1. “I bet you’re the kind of guy that would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the goddamn common courtesy to give him a reach-around. I’ll be watching you.” – Gunnery Sergeant Hartman
2. “Private Joker, do you believe in the Virgin Mary?” – Gunnery Sergeant Hartman
3. “Well, well, Private Joker, I don’t believe I heard you correctly!” – Gunnery Sergeant Hartman
4. “Why you little maggot, you make me want to vomit!” – Gunnery Sergeant Hartman
5. “You Goddamn communist heathen, you had best sound off that you love the Virgin Mary, or I’m gonna stomp your guts out! Now you DO love the Virgin Mary, don’t ya?” – Gunnery Sergeant Hartman
6. “Private Joker, are you trying to offend me?” – Gunnery Sergeant Hartman
7. “Who’s your squad leader, scumbag?” – Gunnery Sergeant Hartman
8. “Private Snowball, you’re fired. Private Joker’s promoted to squad leader.” – Gunnery Sergeant Hartman
9. “Private Pyle, Private Joker is your new squad leader, and you will bunk with him! He’ll teach you everything, he’ll teach you how to pee!” – Gunnery Sergeant Hartman
10. “Private Joker is silly and he’s ignorant, but he’s got guts, and guts is enough in my beloved Corps! Now, you ladies carry on.” – Gunnery Sergeant Hartman
11. “Pick ’em up and set ’em down Pyle!” – Gunnery Sergeant Hartman
12. “Move it up! Quickly! Hustle up! The fucking war will be over by the time we get out there, won’t it, Private Pyle? Move it!” – Gunnery Sergeant Hartman
13. “Reveille! Reveille! Reveille! Drop your cocks and grab your socks! Today is Sunday! Divine worship at zero-eight-hundred!” – Gunnery Sergeant Hartman
14. “Your ass looks like about a hundred and fifty pounds of chewed bubble gum, Pyle. Do you know that?” – Gunnery Sergeant Hartman
15. “Quickly, move it out! There ain’t one swinging dick private in this platoon’s gonna graduate until they can get this obstacle down to less than ten fucking seconds!” – Gunnery Sergeant Hartman
16. “Get up here, fatboy! Quickly! Move it up! Move it up, Pyle! Move it up! You climb obstacles like old people fuck.” – Gunnery Sergeant Hartman
17. “Well, no shit. What have we got here, a fucking comedian? Private Joker? I admire your honesty. Hell, I like you. You can come over to my house and fuck my sister.” – Gunnery Sergeant Hartman
18. “I want that head so sanitary and squared away that the Virgin Mary herself would be proud to go in and take a dump.” – Gunnery Sergeant Hartman
19. “Well, thank you very much! Can I be in charge for a while?” – Gunnery Sergeant Hartman
20. “Bullshit, I STILL can’t hear you! Sound off like you’ve got a pair!” – Gunnery Sergeant Hartman
Full Metal Jacket Quotes from Private Joker
21. “Parris Island, South Carolina. The Marine Corps Training Depot. An eight-week college for the phony tough and the crazy brave.” – Private Joker
22. “Sir, NEGATIVE, sir! Sir, the private believes any answer he gives will be wrong and the Senior Drill Instructor will only beat him harder if he reverses himself, SIR!” – Private Joker
23. “Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?” – Private Joker
24. “Don’t take it too hard, Rafterman. It’s just business.” – Private Joker
25. “I wouldn’t shit you. You’re my favorite turd!” – Private Joker
26. “A day without blood is like a day without sunshine.” – Private Joker
27. “I’m not trying to run the squad. I’m just saying we can’t leave her like this.” – Private Joker
28. “Graduation is only a few days away, and the recruits of Platoon 3092 are salty. They are ready to eat their own guts and ask for seconds. The drill instructors are proud to see that we are growing beyond their control. The Marine Corps does not want robots. The Marine Corps wants killers. The Marine Corps wants to build indestructible men, men without fear.” – Private Joker
29. “Leonard, if Hartman comes in here and catches us, we’ll both be in a world of shit.” – Private Joker
Funny Full Metal Jacket Quotes from Private Pyle
30. “Sir, I don’t know, sir.” – Private Pyle
31. “Sir! The private’s fifth general order is to quit my post only when properly relieved, sir!” – Private Pyle
32. “Sir! That is to guarantee that the private is not giving the inspecting officer a loaded weapon, sir!” – Private Pyle
33. “Sir, I can’t help it, sir.” – Private Pyle
Full Metal Jacket Quotes from Animal Mother
34. “F*cking son of a bitch! YOU MOTHERF*CKER! WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!” – Animal Mother
35. “Well, if you ask me, uh, we’re shooting the wrong gooks.” – Animal Mother
36. “What do I think about America’s involvement in the war? Well, I think we should win.” – Animal Mother
37. “Hey, hey, I won’t belong! I’ll skip the foreplay.” – Animal Mother
38. “Hey, asshole… Cowboy’s wasted. You’re fresh out of friends. I’m running the squad now, and I say we leave the gook for the motherlovin’ rats.” – Animal Mother
39. “You’d better flush out your head, new guy. This isn’t about freedom; this is a slaughter. If I’m gonna get my balls blown off for a word, my word is “poontang”.” – Animal Mother
Full Metal Jacket Quotes from Private Rafterman
40. “Well, I don’t think there’s any question about it. I mean we’re the best. I mean all that bullshit about the Air Cav… When the shit really hits the fan, who do they call? They call Mother Green and her killing machine!” – Private Rafterman
41. “We’re supposed to be helping them and they shit all over us every chance they get. I just can’t feature that.” – Private Rafterman
42. “A high school girl could do my job. I want to get out into the shit. I want to get some trigger time.” – Private Rafterman
43. “Hey Joker, we ought to put you up for the congressional medal of… ugly! Ha-ha!” – Private Rafterman
Full Metal Jacket Quotes from Private Cowboy
44. “We’re not leaving. We’ll get him when the tank comes up.” – Private Cowboy
45. “I’ve seen this before, that sniper is just trying to suck us in one at a time.” – Private Cowboy
46. “Eightball, let’s dance.” – Private Cowboy
47. “Well, better my sister than my mom and my mom ain’t bad.” – Private Cowboy
48. “Remember, this was all just a bad dream, fat boy!” – Private Cowboy
49. “We’re the Lusthog Squad. We’re lifetakers and heartbreakers. We shoot ’em full of holes and fill ’em full of lead.” – Private Cowboy
50. “I hate Vietnam. There’s not one horse in this whole country. There’s not one horse in Vietnam. There’s somethin’ basically wrong with that.” – Private Cowboy
Which of these Full Metal Jacket quotes is your favorite?
As you can see from the quotes, Full Metal Jacket is a pretty dark war movie with humor but focuses a lot on the psychological issues soldiers experience.
You can see from the characters that a lot of their banter is dark sarcasm and that is to deal with the situation that they have been put in.
Full Metal Jacket was a successful movie and received critical acclaim, received an Oscar nomination, and successfully grossed almost three times its budget. If you are in the mood for a movie that does a good job of depicting the psychological effects of preparing for war, then you will truly enjoy Full Metal Jacket.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these Full Metal Jacket quotes and lines? Do you have any other favorite quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.