Obviously trust, understanding, and empathy are vital to the success of any relationship, but there is often something that goes underrated that never should. We’re talking about communication.
In order for any relationship to stand the test of time, solid lines of communication must be established in order for both parties to feel fully understood and have a safe place to voice their true feelings. This collection of communication quotes collection will help you develop stronger and healthier relationships.
Strong communication is important in relationships. For you to have a healthy relationship, you need to talk openly and be a good listener.
Although every relationship faces challenges at some point, a healthy communication style can make it easier to handle conflict and strengthen the partnership.
Most relationships fail because of poor communication. To avoid misunderstandings that may cause hurt, anger, resentment or confusion, you need to communicate clearly. You need to know how, what and when to communicate your concerns to your partner.
You cannot read other people’s minds. Besides, everyone has different communication needs and styles. You should, therefore, find a way of communicating that suits your relationships.
Connect and use your verbal, written and physical skills to understand your partner and fulfill their needs. To help strengthen your relationships, below is our collection of inspirational, wise, and thoughtful communication quotes, communication sayings, and communication proverbs.
For additional reading, learn more about color code communication.
Communication quotes and sayings to strengthen relationships
1. “The most important thing in communication is hearing what isn’t said.” – Peter Drucker
2. “I think for any relationship to be successful, there needs to be loving communication, appreciation, and understanding.” – Miranda Kerr
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of relationship quotes celebrating real love.
3. “Communicate unto the other person that which you would want him to communicate unto you if your positions were reversed.” – Aaron Goldman
4. “Emotional awareness is necessary so you can properly convey your thoughts and feelings to the other person.” – Jason Goldberg
5. “Communication works for those who work at it.” – John Powell
6. “Open communication is the lifeblood that keeps a marriage in the spring and summer seasons- times of optimism and enjoyment.” – Gary Chapman
7. “Write to be understood, speak to be heard, read to grow.” ― Lawrence Clark Powell
8. “When people talk listen completely. Most people never listen.”- Ernest Hemingway
9. “It’s important to make sure that we’re talking with each other in a way that heals, not in a way that wounds.” ― Barack Obama
10. “Families who have strong and healthy communication skills can weather significant challenges and remain intact. Those with limited effective communication skills are vulnerable to the challenges of life pulling them apart.” – Ellen Miley Perry
Communication quotes to inspire happier and healthier relationships
11. “Communication leads to community, that is, to understanding, intimacy and mutual valuing.” – Rollo May
12. “Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.” – Plato
13. “Good communication is as stimulating as black coffee, and just as hard to sleep after.” – Anne Morrow Lindbergh
14. “Communication sometimes is not what you first hear, listen not just to the words, but listen for the reason.” – Catherine Pulsifer
15. “If you can talk about it, why paint it?” – Francis Bacon
16. “Communication is your ticket to success, if you pay attention and learn to do it effectively.” – Theo Gold
17. “Constantly talking isn’t necessarily communicating.” ― Charlie Kaufman
18. “Communication involves self-revelation on the part of one individual and listening on the part of another.”- Dr. Gary Chapman
19. “To love someone with all of your heart requires reaching them where they are with the only words they can understand.” ― Shannon L. Alder
20. “We, as human beings, learn through sharing and communicating.” –Hugo Reynolds
Also check out these listening quotes and sayings that will inspire you to improve your communication skills.
Communication quotes to inspire and teach
21. “The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.” – George Bernard Shaw
22. “To effectively communicate, we must realize that we are all different in the way we perceive the world and use this understanding as a guide to our communication with others.” – Tony Robbins
23. “Conversation, like certain portions of the anatomy, always runs more smoothly when lubricated.” ― Marquis de Sade
24. “We take communication for granted because we do it so frequently, but it’s actually a complex process.” – Joseph Sommerville
25. “We never listen when we are eager to speak. – Francois de la Rochefoucauld
26. “The way we talk to our children becomes their inner voice.” ― Peggy O’Mara
27. “Ask most therapists, and they will tell you that good communication is at the heart of any successful relationship.” – Sophie Winters
28. “Every act of communication is a miracle of translation.” ― Ken Liu
29. “Speech is our primary means of communication. If it’s important, we tell people about it.” – Brian Knapp
30. “Honest, open communication is the only street that leads us into the real world… We then begin to grow as never before. And once we are on this road, happiness cannot be far away.” ― John Joseph Powel
Communication quotes to help bring transparency
31. “Not the fastest horse can catch a word spoken in anger.” – Chinese Proverb
32. “Effective communication is 20% what you know and 80% how you feel about what you know.” – Jim Rohn
33. “When the trust account is high, communication is easy, instant, and effective.” – Stephen R. Covey
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of trust issues quotes that will help you understand the meaning of trust.
34. “The art of communication is the language of leadership.” – James Humes
35. “Self-consciousness kills communication.” ― Rick Steves
36. “But good healthy communication is impossible without openness, honesty, and vulnerability.” – Paul Kendall
37. “We are stronger when we listen, and smarter when we share.” ― Rania Al-Abdullah
38. “Effective communication helps to keep the team working on the right projects with the right attitude.” – Alex Langer
39. “No one can tell, when two people walk closely together, what unconscious communication one mind may have with another” ― Robert Barr
40. “The most important things to say are those which often I did not think necessary for me to say — because they were too obvious.” ― André Gide
Powerful communication quotes
41. “Communication – the human connection – is the key to personal and career success.” – Paul J. Meyer
42. “Communication is one of the most important skills you require for a successful life.” – Catherine Pulsifer
43. “Make sure to communicate your idea quickly and keep it straight to the point.” – Paul Bailey
44. “Say a little and say it well.” – Irish Proverb
45. “If you have nothing to say, say nothing.” – Mark Twain
46. “Talking more than is necessary is a barrier to effective communication and effective listening.” – Clodagh Swanson
47. “You can communicate best when you first listen.” – Catherine Pulsifer
48. “You must be able to communicate successfully in order to become a leader and someone others listen to.” – Keith Boyer
49. “Conversation is king. Content is just something to talk about.” ― Cory Doctorow
50. “Your words will either give you joy or give you sorrow, but if they were spoken without regret, they give you peace.” ― Shannon Alder
Other inspirational communication quotes and sayings
51. “Effective Communication is a way to success”― Jaspal Singh Malik
52. “The quality of your communication determines the size of your result.”― Meir Ezra
53. “If people had the right skills and intention to communicate well, there would be no conflict. The better we are at communicating, the better our lives will be.”― Yama Mubtaker
54. “Words travel as swiftly as desire, so it is possible to send a message of love without them.”― Laura Esquivel
55. “Don’t assume that prior communication has been effective and that people get it.”― Benjamin Komlos
56. “If there is a communication issue, it is not the fault of the other person but of both people.”― Jeffrey G. Duarte
57. “The fact that I’m using words doesn’t necessarily mean that I’m saying anything.”― Craig D. Lounsbrough
58. “Communication is humanity’s greatest blessing, although efforts to establish it can feel like humanity’s greatest curse.”― Cole Todd
59. “Opening up a conversation can be opening up a world of new possibilities.”― Michelle Lederman
60. “There is no communication that is so simple that it cannot be misunderstood.”― Luigina Sgarro
61. “If we wish to achieve better communication, we should feel free to make changes in the ways we communicate.”― Dr Prem Jagyasi
62. “Sometimes it isn’t what a person says, but rather what they don’t say, that tells you more than their words ever could.”― Laurie Buchanan, PhD
63. “Your body language can divulge your disinterest or, conversely, it can affirm your attentiveness and confidence.”― Michelle Tillis Lederman
64. “When you stop communicating, you become poor.”― Meir Ezra
65. “Communication is the first pillar of love.”― Alan Maiccon
More communication quotes and sayings
66. “Assumptions are the termites of relationships.” – Henry Winkler
67. “A beautiful thing happens when we start paying attention to each other. It is by participating more in your relationship that you breathe life into it.” – Steve Maraboli
68. “Nothing said in words ever came out quite even. Things in words got twisted and ran together, instead of staying straight and fitting together.” – Ursula K. Le Guin
69. “We all struggle with our failure to communicate and our failure to reach beyond fear to love people.” – Mira Sorvino
70. “Words are the voice of the heart.” – Confucius
71. “It doesn’t matter if people don’t know that you do a good thing nor the right thing. But he nor she must know your expression of love.” – Olivia Sinaga
72. “Lack of communication will destroy a relationship.” – Sayam Asjad
73. “People don’t have anything but the communication with the things.” – Meir Ezra
74. “Once you communicate, you don’t discover reality, you create reality.” – Meir Ezra
75. “Let’s forget about the things you haven’t done, and talk about what you have done.” – Michelle Lederman
Did you enjoy these communication quotes and sayings?
Communication is a vital part of all relationships. For there to be a stronger and healthier relationship, you need to have good communication among the parties involved.
Lack of communication can lead to insecurities, faithlessness, misunderstandings, mistrust or doubt. Hopefully, the above quotes will improve your communication style, help build trust, and make your relationships happier and healthier.
Which of the above communication quotes resonated with you best? Do you have any other quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.