From his breakout role in Saturday Night Live to becoming a leading man in film, comedian Will Ferrell has brought laughs to millions of audiences all across the world. To celebrate his comedic and creative talent, we have compiled fifty Will Ferrell quotes below, including memorable quotes from his most well-known movies.
What’s your favorite Will Ferrell movie?
Actor and comedian Will Ferrell has a filmography filled with hilarious movies that defined the late 90s and early 2000s, including A Night at the Roxbury, Step Brothers, Elf, and Anchorman. In recent years Ferrell has become a prominent comedy producer, including being the co-founder of Funny or Die, one of the most well-known web comedy production companies.
Learn more about comedy, career, and family from Will Ferrell below.
For more quotes from his works, be sure to also read these Step Brothers quotes or this collection of hilarious Elf quotes.
Will Ferrell quotes on career
1. “All you have in comedy, in general, is just going with your instincts. You can only hope that other people think that what you think is funny is funny. I don’t have an answer but I just try to plough straight ahead.” – Will Ferrell
2. “I have only been funny about seventy-four percent of the time. Yes I think that is right. Seventy-four percent of the time.” – Will Ferrell
3. “There’s always going to be someone as funny as you or funnier.” – Will Ferrell
4. “It’d be great to be in a position where you can make choices regardless of money. My tastes are always gonna lead me to go for the amazing project where I’m being paid in Turkish cantaloupes.” – Will Ferrell
5. “I would love to play Simon Cowell in a movie – heck, I would love it. It would be my dream role.” – Will Ferrell
6. “I think a lot of the instincts you have doing comedy are really the same for doing drama, in that it’s essentially about listening. The way I approach comedy, is you have to commit to everything as if it’s a dramatic role, meaning you play it straight.” – Will Ferrell
7. “Saturday Night Live is such a comedy boot camp in a way, because you get to work with so many different people who come in to host the show and you get thrown into so many situations and learn how to think on your feet, so filmmaking actually feels slow, in a good way.” – Will Ferrell
8. “I think anyone who has, you know, is in any sort of artistic pursuit, kind of goes up and down with the way they feel about their work. And I, for the most part, am a pretty happy person. But, yeah. I go through definite periods of time where I’m not funny. I’m not good. I’m – I don’t feel original.” – Will Ferrell
9. “I love playing the macho guy who looks like an idiot.” – Will Ferrell
10. “It’s very easy for me to play silly, but to reveal something closer to you, that’s so much harder.” – Will Ferrell
11. “I always find it actually funny that the analysis is that the characters I play in comedies are the manchild, the adolescent, characters that refuse to grow up. And yet, if you look back in the history of comedy all the way back to the Marx brothers, that’s a big part of comedy.” – Will Ferrell
12. “I know the nature of comedy, and you never know what will happen with the next movie or whether people will find it funny.” – Will Ferrell
13. “Aren’t we all striving to be overpaid for what we do?” – Will Ferrell
14. “I’ve always had, when I needed it, an extreme amount of focus that I could put into something. That has served me well.” – Will Ferrell
15. “You still have that competitive thing where you want to try to make hits. That won’t go away, unless the mayor of show business says my time’s up.” – Will Ferrell
16. “Anyone who does anything creative is always gonna want to change.” – Will Ferrell
17. “I guess ultimately a lot of comedians just wanna be taken seriously.” – Will Ferrell
Funny Will Ferrell quotes from movies
18. “Here’s the deal I’m the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.” – Will Ferrell, “Talladega Nights”
If you’re enjoying these quotes, make sure to read our collection of Talladega Nights quotes from the hit comedy.
19. “No, you go to hell, and while you’re there, why don’t you grab me a juice box! – Will Ferrell, “Kicking and Screaming”
20. “It’s so damn hot… milk was a bad choice.” – Will Ferrell, “Anchorman”
21. “Help me Jesus! Help me Jewish God! Help me Allah! Help me Tom Cruise! Tom Cruise, use your witchcraft on me to get the fire off me!” – Will Ferrell, “Talladega Nights”
22. “We elves try to stick to the four main food groups: candy, candy canes, candy corns and syrup.” – Will Ferrell, “Elf”
23. “I swear, I’m so pissed off at my mom. As soon as she’s of age, I’m putting her in a home.” – Will Ferrell, “Step Brothers”
24. “Matt Lauer can suck it!” – Will Ferrell, “Land of the Lost”
25. “I passed through the seven levels of the Candy Cane forest, through the sea of swirly twirly gumdrops, and then I walked through the Lincoln Tunnel.” – Will Ferrell, “Elf”
26. “How ’bout we go get kicked out of an Applebee’s?” – Will Ferrell, “Talladega Nights”
27. “Don’t act like you’re not impressed.” – Will Ferrell, “Anchorman”
28. “One day I’ll get you over that wall of anger, and it will be glorious!” – Will Ferrell, “The Other Guys”
You might also like these funny Richard Pryor quotes highlighting some of his funniest and most controversial moments.
Will Ferrell quotes on life
29. “I’ve never been a conceited person or cocky, never felt boastful, but I always had a sense of self-worth; I always had a real sense of myself.” – Will Ferrell
30. “I’m a Cancer; I’m music-passionate. I like long walks on the beach.” – Will Ferrell
31. “I’m a selective packrat. There’s some things I have no problem getting rid of and others I hold onto dearly.” – Will Ferrell
32. “I’m a bit of a gourmet chef. I love cooking – mostly Thai food.” – Will Ferrell
33. “Enjoy the little fun things – like taking your kids to school – before they’re all grown up.” – Will Ferrell
34. “I’ve always wanted to sail around the world in a handmade boat, and I built a boat.” – Will Ferrell
35. “I hate when someone drives my car and resets all the radio presets. I don’t understand it. If I was ever driving someone’s car, I would never touch the things that were set.” – Will Ferrell
Will Ferrell quotes on upbringing
36. “I left home to go to college, and then I moved back home. I moved back for three years from 21 to 24.” – Will Ferrell
37. “I speak as much Spanish as anyone who has grown up in Southern California or Texas or Arizona. I had my three years of high-school Spanish and a couple of semesters in college.” – Will Ferrell
38. “When I was ten, I wrote an essay on what I would be when I grew up and said I would be a professional soccer player and a comedian in offseason.” – Will Ferrell
39. “I still regret that I never played soccer in high school. I chose basketball over soccer.” – Will Ferrell
40. “I remember going with my mom to a random garage sale as a kid and thinking what a cool treasure hunt that whole world was. Only to transition as an adult to think, ‘What a gross place that really is.’” – Will Ferrell
41. “One of my first memories of being a kid was, ‘I want to have a real job when I grow up.’ And to me that meant you wear a suit and a hat and carry a briefcase and go to your job.” – Will Ferrell
42. “I grew up in an entertainment family, and so I saw how susceptible you are to the ups and downs of this business.” – Will Ferrell
43. “I always just forced myself to do crazy things in public. In college I would push an overhead projector across campus with my pants just low enough to show my butt. Then my friend would incite the crowd to be like, ‘Look at that idiot!’ That’s how I got over being shy.” – Will Ferrell
44. “My dad turned me onto Peter Sellers as a kid. I loved the fact that he was a unique combination of being extremely subtle and over-the-top all at the same time, and that’s a hard thing to do. I admire that.” – Will Ferrell
45. “In the fourth grade, I learned how to fake walking into a door. You know, you hit it with your hand and snap your head back. The girls loved it.” – Will Ferrell
More Will Ferrell quotes
46. “By the time I was ready for college, I didn’t know what I wanted to do. I think I secretly wanted a show business career, but I was suppressing it.” – Will Ferrell
47. “I’ve always loved watching the news on TV. As a kid, I loved watching Walter Cronkite, for some reason.” – Will Ferrell
48. “In junior high P.E., I was way too shy to take a shower in front of the other kids. It was a horribly awkward time – body hair, odors… So I’d go from my sweaty shirt back into my regular clothes and have to continue the day.” – Will Ferrell
49. “I did plenty of jobs that I hated. I was a bank teller and terrible at it. I parked cars, a valet. I answered phones. I somehow avoided being a waiter. I knew I wouldn’t be able to keep the order straight. I’m not much of a multi-tasker.” – Will Ferrell
50. “I was a strange kid in that, while most kids hate school and want to turn 18 or 21, I loved high school.” – Will Ferrell
51. “Before you marry a person you should first make them use a computer with slow internet to see who they really are.” – Will Ferrell
52. “Oftentimes I’m confronted with a quote that I don’t remember saying. So, on one hand, it’s very flattering, it is just so surreal.” – Will Ferrell
You might also like these classic Archie Bunker quotes from the famous “Middle-Class American”
Do you still practice any hobbies from childhood?
The key to realizing your passion may lie in the past, just as it did for Will Ferrell. His passion for comedy as an adult began within his childhood experiences. If you’re struggling to find your true passion, or simply want to try a new hobby, remind yourself of the things you enjoyed as a child.
Whether you were interested in ballet or dreamed about becoming a best-selling author, there may be ways that you can continue those passions you exercised as a child into adulthood in some way.
What’s your favorite quote from Will Ferrell? Is there another actor that we should showcase on Everyday Power? Let us know your thoughts below!