These Titanic quotes capture some of the most emotional parts of the film, with sayings from both Jack and Rose.
If you were any older than the age of 10 in the late 90s or early 2000s, you can likely recall the Titanic craze. The movie premiered in 1997 and it was all anyone could talk about. The movie officially made Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet teen heartthrobs. Also, the radio stations played the heck out of Celine Dion’s “My Heart Will Go On.” Quotes about the conversations they had with one another, and the quotes from the part of the movie where the ship sunk might just move you to tears.
The movie requires a bit of an investment from the watcher as it will also “go on” and on. In fact, it takes three and a half hours from start to finish. The epic romance and disaster film, which was directed, written, co-produced, and co-edited by James Cameron, is well worth it though.
The blend of history and fiction surrounding the sinking of the RMS Titanic has something for nearly every type of moviegoer. That is probably why the film was so successful. It was nominated for 14 Academy Awards and won 11, which included Best Picture and Best Director. It tied with Ben-Hur (1959) for the most Oscars won by a single film.
Keep reading these Titanic quotes to take an emotional stroll down memory lane as you re-explore this popular film.
Don’t forget to also check out these Inception quotes that will make you question what you think you know.
Titanic movie quotes from Rose that will make you relive all the emotional moments
1. “A woman’s heart is a deep ocean of secrets.” — Rose (older)
2. “It was the ship of dreams to everyone else. To me, it was a slave ship, taking me back to America in chains. Outwardly, I was everything a well brought up girl should be. Inside, I was screaming.” — Rose (older)
3. “Jack, I’m flying!” — Rose
4. “Jack, I want you to draw me like one of your French girls.” — Rose
5. “I’ll never let go, Jack. I’ll never let go.” — Rose
6. “Fifteen-hundred people went into the sea, when Titanic sank from under us. There were 20 boats floating nearby… and only one came back. One. Six were saved from the water, myself included. Six… out of 1500. Afterward, the 700 people in the boats had nothing to do but wait… wait to die… wait to live… wait for an absolution… that would never come.” — Rose (older)
7. “I saw my whole life as if I’d already lived it. An endless parade of parties and cotillions, yachts and polo matches. Always the same narrow people, the same mindless chatter. I felt like I was standing at a great precipice, with no one to pull me back.” — Rose (older)
8. “Can you exchange one life for another? A caterpillar turns into a butterfly. If a mindless insect can do it, why couldn’t I?” — Rose (older)
9. “Oh mother, shut up! Don’t you understand? The water is freezing and there aren’t enough boats. Not enough by half. Half the people on this ship are going to die.” — Rose
10. “It’s been 84 years, and I can still smell the fresh paint. The china had never been used. The sheets had never been slept in. Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.” — Rose (older)
11. “I’d rather be his whore than your wife.” — Rose
Famous Titanic quotes from Jack that remind us why we love him
12. “I mean, I got everything I need right here with me. I got air in my lungs. A few blank sheets of paper. I mean, I love waking up in the morning not knowing what’s gonna happen or, who I’m gonna meet, where I’m gonna wind up. Just the other night I was sleeping under a bridge and now here I am on the grandest ship in the world having champagne with you fine people.” — Jack
13. “I’m the king of the world!” — Jack
14. “I don’t know about you, but I intend to write a strongly worded letter to the White Star Line about all of this.” — Jack
15. “Promise me you’ll survive. That you won’t give up, no matter what happens. No matter how hopeless.” — Jack
16. “Winning that ticket, Rose, was the best thing that ever happened to me… it brought me to you. And I’m thankful for that, Rose. I’m thankful.” — Jack
17. “You jump, I jump remember? I can’t turn away without knowing you’ll be all right.” — Jack
18. “I figure life’s a gift and I don’t intend on wasting it. You don’t know what hand you’re gonna get dealt next. You learn to take life as it comes at you… to make each day count.” — Jack
19. “Don’t you do that, don’t say your goodbyes. Not yet, do you understand me?” — Jack
20. “Listen, Rose. You’re gonna get out of here, you’re gonna go on and you’re gonna make lots of babies, and you’re gonna watch them grow. You’re gonna die an old… an old lady warm in her bed, not here, not this night. Not like this, do you understand me?” — Jack
21. “Come, Josephine, in my flying machine, going up, she goes up, up she goes.” — Jack
22. “Rose! You’re so stupid. Why did you do that, huh? You’re so stupid, Rose. Why did you do that? Why?” — Jack
23. “Rose, you’re no picnic, all right? You’re a spoiled little brat, even, but under that, you’re the most amazingly, astounding, wonderful girl, woman that I’ve ever known.” — Jack
24. “They’ve got you trapped, Rose. And you’re gonna die if you don’t break free. Maybe not right away because you’re strong but sooner or later that fire that I love about you, Rose… that fire’s gonna burn out.” — Jack
Titanic quotes and lines from memorable conversations between Jack and Rose
25. Jack: “Where to, Miss?”
Rose: “To the stars.”
26. Rose: “You’re crazy!”
Jack: “That’s what everybody says, but with all due respect Miss, I’m not the one hanging off
the back of a ship here.”
27. Rose: “I believe you are blushing, Mr. Big Artiste. I can’t imagine Monsieur Monet blushing.”
Jack: “He does landscapes.”
28. Jack: “Whew! I’m Jack Dawson.”
Rose: “Rose DeWitt Bukater.”
Jack: “I’m gonna have to get you to write that one down.”
29. Rose: “I know what you must be thinking. “Poor little rich girl, what does she know about misery?”
Jack: “No, no, that’s not what I was thinking. What I was thinking was, what could’ve happened to this girl to make her think she had no way out?”
30. Rose: “I’ll let go!!!”
Rose: “I’ll let go!”
Jack: “No you won’t.”
Rose: “What do you mean, no, I won’t? Don’t presume to tell me what I will, will not do! You don’t know me!”
Jack: “Well, you would’ve done it already.”
31. Jack: “Are you nervous?”
Rose: “No. Put your hands on me, Jack.”
Titanic movie quotes about the crash and the moments that made us cry
32. Thomas: “The ship will sink.”
Rose: “You’re certain?”
Thomas: “Yes. In an hour or so, all of this will be at the bottom of the Atlantic.”
33. “Will these lifeboats be seated according to class? I hope they’re not too crowded.” — Ruth DeWitt Bukater
34. “Is there anyone alive out there? Can anyone hear me?” — Fifth Officer Harold Lowe
35. Thomas: “She can stay afloat with the first four compartments breached but not five. Not five. She goes down by the head. The water will spill over the bulkheads, from one to the next back and back there’s no stopping it.”
Capt. Smith: “The pumps. We open the doors.”
Thomas: “The pumps buy you time! But minutes only. From this moment there’s no matter what to do. Titanic will founder.”
36. Bruce: “But this ship can’t sink.”
Thomas: “She’s made of iron, sir! I assure you she can! And she will. It is a mathematical certainty.”
37. Capt. Smith: “How much time?”
Thomas: “An hour. Two at most.”
Capt. Smith: “And how many aboard Mr. Murdoch?”
1st Officer Murdoch: “2,200 souls on board, sir.”
Capt. Smith: “Well, I believe you may get your headlines, Mr. Ismay.”
38. Thomas: “Please tell only who you must. I don’t wanna be responsible for a panic. And get to a boat quickly, don’t wait. You remember what I told you about the boats?”
Rose: “Yes… I understand.”
39. “Your money can’t save you anymore than it can save me.” — First Officer Murdoch
40. Ruth: “Rose, get into the boat!”
Rose: “Goodbye, mother.”
Ruth: “Rose, come back here!”
Titanic quotes and phrases from real-life survivors, officials, and people associated with the ship
41. “There was peace, and the world had an even tenor to it’s way. Nothing was revealed in the morning, the trend of which was not known the night before. It seems to me that the disaster about to occur was the event that not only made the world rub it’s eyes and awake but woke it with a start keeping it moving at a rapidly accelerating pace ever since with less and less peace, satisfaction and happiness. To my mind the world of today awoke April 15th, 1912.” — Jack B. Thayer, Titanic Survivor
42. “Many brave things were done that night but none more brave than by those few men playing minute after minute as the ship settled quietly lower and lower in the sea… the music they played serving alike as their own immortal requiem and their right to be recorded on the rulls of undying fame.” — Lawrence Beesley, Titanic Survivor
43. “The oarsman laid on their oars and all in the lifeboat were motionless as we watch Her in absolute silence. Save some who would not look and buried their heads on each other’s shoulders.” — Lawrence Beesley, Titanic Survivor
44. “About this time people began jumping from the stern. My friend Milton Long and myself stood beside each other and jumped on the rail. We did not give each other any messages for back home cause neither thought we would ever get back.” — Jack B. Thayer, Titanic Survivor
45. “To my poor fellow-sufferers: My heart overflows with grief for you all and is laden with sorrow that you are weighed down with this terrible burden that has been thrust upon us. May God be with us and comfort us all.” — Eleanor Smith, wife Captain Smith
46. “Deeply regret advise you TITANIC sank this morning after collision with iceberg, resulting in serious loss of life. Full particulars later.” — J. Bruce Ismay, Director of the White Star Line
47. “Come at once, we have struck a berg, it’s a CQD old man.” — Jack Phillips, Wireless Operator
48. “I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern ship building has gone beyond that.” — Captain Smith, Commander of Titanic
49. “We do not care anything for the heaviest storms in these big ships. It is fog that we fear. The big icebergs that drift into warmer water melt much more rapidly under water than on the surface, and sometimes a sharp, low reef extending two or three hundred feet beneath the sea is formed. If a vessel should run on one of these reefs half her bottom might be torn away.” — Captain Smith, Commander of Titanic
50. “When anyone asks how I can best describe my experience in nearly 40 years at sea, I merely say, uneventful. Of course there have been winter gales, and storms and fog the like, but in all my experience, I have never been in any accident of any sort worth speaking about. I never saw a wreck and never have been wrecked, nor was I ever in any predicament that threatened to end in disaster of any sort. You see, I am not very good material for a story.” — Captain Smith, Commander of Titanic
What did you learn from these Titanic quotes?
Like the movie itself, this article blended in some historical titanic quotes too. You get swept up in the adventure and romance of this film, but the entire time you are watching this love blossom, you know their relationship is a sinking ship… literally.
The movie itself was not, though, grossing over $1.84 billion initially. Titanic was the first film to reach the billion-dollar mark, a record it held until 2010 when another Cameron film, Avatar, surpassed it in 2010. Both Cameron films have now earned over 2 billion dollars.
Was it great acting, writing, and directing that made the movie so outstanding, or was it people’s fascination with the “unsinkable” Titanic? The RMS Titanic was a British passenger liner operated by the White Star Line. It struck an iceberg during its maiden voyage on 15 April 1912, and sank, after being billed as impossible to sink.
That tragedy took the lives of over 1500 people (there were 2224 passengers and crew aboard). It is, to this day, the deadliest peacetime sinking of a cruise liner. If you haven’t watched the film already, set aside an afternoon or evening, and give it a go. It is a fantastic piece of cinema about a tragedy that was shrouded in mystery.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these Titanic quotes and lines? Do you have any other favorite quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.