These Mia Hamm quotes are inspiring, motivating, and empowering. Her words not only resonate with soccer fans but also with women and the youth.
Mia Hamm is known in the world of professional soccer. Now a retired athlete, Hamm reached popularity for gaining Olympic gold medals twice. She also clinched a two-time FIFA Women’s World Cup championship during the course of her playing career.
Considered as a soccer icon, Hamm played for the United States women’s national soccer team as a forward for more than a decade, from 1987 to 2004.
During the span of her career, Hamm played 42 matches and scored 14 goals during seven tournaments. Hamm also held the record as the player who has Most International Goals Scored until 2013.
Aside from being a soccer player, Hamm also ventured into the world of entertainment and has been a part of various TV shows and films, proving that she not only has great playing skills but charisma on the big screen as well.
Here are some of the best Mia Hamm quotes we can all learn a thing or two from.
Don’t forget to also check out these soccer quotes from the greatest players in the world.
Mia Hamm Quotes About Sports
1. “Sport taught me how to goal set, it really gave me a voice and identity.” – Mia Hamm
2. “I’m not someone who goes around the locker room before a game trying to motivate my teammates. I don’t say a lot before the game. I don’t say a lot in general. It takes too much energy to do that.” – Mia Hamm
3. “If you’ve got hips, you can’t be a gymnast or dancer. That ruled me out.” – Mia Hamm
4. “I played soccer because my friends did. Besides we got sodas afterwards.” – Mia Hamm
5. “Sports are not about awards or world championships, though those are great. They’re about the relationships we have with each other.” – Mia Hamm
6. “Sports can do so much. It’s given me confidence, self-esteem, discipline, and motivation.” – Mia Hamm
7. “I was given a tremendous gift in terms of athleticism. Maybe it was because I wasn’t so confident in other areas.” – Mia Hamm
8. “The most important attribute a player must have is mental toughness.” – Mia Hamm
9. “Sports can do so much. They’ve given me a framework: meeting new people, confidence, self-esteem, discipline, motivation. All these things I learned, whether I knew I was learning them or not, through sports.” – Mia Hamm
10. “Goals have never defined me as a player. What has defined me is my impact on the team. If that means passing or playing defense to win, I’ll do it.” – Mia Hamm
11. “Many people say I’m the best women’s soccer player in the world. I don’t think so. And because of that, someday I just might be.” – Mia Hamm
12. “We play because we love the game, we love each other, and we love to win.” – Mia Hamm
13. “If a team intimidates you physically and you let them, they’ve won.” – Mia Hamm
Inspirational Mia Hamm Quotes
14. “Experience means you did a lot of things wrong.” – Mia Hamm
15. “I don’t want to sit and look at all the trophies. I don’t want to live in the past — I want to live now!” – Mia Hamm
16. “You’re worth the investment in yourself and what you feel, you can and want to be.” – Mia Hamm
17. “Every single day I wake up and commit to myself to becoming a better player.” – Mia Hamm
18. “I hope all you young girls see yourself up there… we were just like you.” – Mia Hamm
19. “I don’t like to stop. I’m a big person who looks at where the hubs are because I hate changing planes.” – Mia Hamm
20. “Sports have become increasingly more specialized, but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be fun.” – Mia Hamm
21. “I played basketball and soccer my freshman year in high school.” – Mia Hamm
22. “It is more difficult to stay on top than to get there.” – Mia Hamm
23. “Good players create opportunities. The great players and the great people seize them.” – Mia Hamm
24. “After each game, I want to be able to say: I gave it all I could, I gave it my best.” – Mia Hamm
25. “A winner is that person who gets up one more time than she is knocked down.” – Mia Hamm
26. “My coach said I ran like a girl, I said if he could run a little faster he could too.” – Mia Hamm
27. “The backbone of success is…hard work, determination, good planning, and perseverance.” – Mia Hamm
28. “Somewhere behind the athlete you’ve become and the hours of practice and the coaches who have pushed you is a little girl who fell in love with the game and never looked back… play for her.” – Mia Hamm
29. “Every morning, I wake up trying to be the best mom and the best role model for my kids in a healthy diet and active lifestyle.” – Mia Hamm
30. “It isn’t sacrifice if you love what you’re doing.” – Mia Hamm
Famous Mia Hamm quotes and sayings
31. “Soccer isn’t very social. Plus, if you don’t like someone on the other team, you can do something about it.” – Mia Hamm
32. “I am happy that the young girls have a lot more choices these days and an opportunity to feel better about themselves.” – Mia Hamm
33. “I got to experience soccer at the highest level at a young age; I decided I wanted to be part of that for as long as possible.” – Mia Hamm
34. “I could just have chips and salsa for dinner every day.” – Mia Hamm
35. “It is not sacrifice if you love what you’re doing.” – Mia Hamm
36. “As a mother, I think you often get so caught up in trying to take care of everyone else that you forget to take care of yourself. But I’m a much better wife and mother when I take the time to take care of myself.” – Mia Hamm
37. “There are always new, grander challenges to confront, and a true winner will embrace each one.” – Mia Hamm
38. “You can’t just beat a team, you have to leave a lasting impression in their minds so they never want to see you again.” – Mia Hamm
Other famous quotes by Mia Hamm
39. “People ask me, ‘Would you ever want to play professional golf?’ And I’m like, ‘No. No, no, no, no. Just because I can hit a good shot every now and then doesn’t make me a pro.’” – Mia Hamm
40. “Learn to differentiate between what is truly important and what can be dealt with at another time.” – Mia Hamm
41. “I know I wouldn’t be here, and all of us wouldn’t be here, without certain sacrifices and certain stands that people have made — not just women, but men stepping up and supporting what we do and how we do it.” – Mia Hamm
42. “I learned a long time ago that there is something worse than missing the goal, and that’s not pulling the trigger.” – Mia Hamm
43. “Celebrate what you’ve accomplished, but raise the bar a little higher each time you succeed.” – Mia Hamm
44. “I don’t like to play rough, but I will if I have to.” – Mia Hamm
45. “Chicken, brown rice, and veggies is a great healthy dinner option. It’s full of whole grains and protein, and will keep you full for a long time.” – Mia Hamm
46. “I love watching gymnastics, swimming, and track and field.” – Mia Hamm
47. “English muffins with avocado is one of my favorite breakfasts.” – Mia Hamm
48. “I could sit there and eat pasta all day long and not worry about it when I was younger, and now I really have to focus on making sure I set a good example for my kids.” – Mia Hamm
49. “I make a lot of mistakes, too, and I’m constantly re-evaluating how I’m doing things and trying to be better every day, whether it’s as a mom or taking care of myself.” – Mia Hamm
50. “You may get skinned knees and elbows, but it’s worth it if you score a spectacular goal.” – Mia Hamm
What did you learn from these Mia Hamm quotes?
These Mia Hamm quotes are truly motivational, especially for young dreamers. Her words inspire people to reach their goals in life even when challenges come their way.
Her experience in the playing field and in life taught her to be strong, tough, and resilient, which resulted in her international fame.
Hamm would not get to where she is right now if not for her hard work, faith, and determination to win every fight and to learn and stand up again after each loss.
Many people look up to her as an empowered woman, and these quotes prove that she is truly a role model to emulate by the young generation.
What’s your biggest takeaway from these Mia Hamm quotes and sayings? Do you have any other favorite quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.