These full moon quotes remind us of the poetic beauty associated with the moon, but the moon is more than just a pretty sight in the sky.
Full moons are beautiful to look at, especially when they are a different color than the usual silverish glow we see once a month! Full moons happen once a month, and if you were wondering how they happen, then you have come to the right place!
You see, the moon doesn’t give off any light by itself, what we see is the sun reflecting off of it. In order for us to see a full moon, the moon needs to be directly opposite the sun in our sky, 180 degrees opposite the sun in elliptical longitude to be exact!
In ancient times, the moon held many spiritual beliefs and myths. In more modern times, the moon has become a political point of contention between nations. It has also become a focal point for scientists and wealthy humans who want to colonize it and find an alternative to Earth.
Keep reading through these full moon quotes to see how the moon still affects us, and if there is anything special, you should say to the moon when it’s full, like a little moon prayer!
Don’t forget to also check out our other collection of moon quotes celebrating the shine in darkness.
Funny full moon quotes that will have you laughing like a lunatic
1. “Let me tell you something about full moons: kids don’t care about full moons. They’ll play in a full moon, no worries at all. They only get scared of magic or werewolves from stupid adults and their stupid adult stories.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
2. “If I tell you, there’s cheese on the moon, bring the crackers.” ― Tyronn Lue
3. “There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.” ― George Carlin
4. “Wine and cheese are ageless companions, like aspirin and aches, or June and moon, or good people and noble ventures.” ― M. F. K. Fisher
5. “When a dog barks at the moon, then it is religion; but when he barks at strangers, it is patriotism!” ― David Starr Jordan
6. “Gray hairs seem to my fancy like the soft light of the moon, silvering over the evening of life.” ― Jean Paul
7. “There’s no doubt that the Moon is more than a handy night light and a hair restorer for werewolves. It’s responsible for the substantial amplitude of earthly ocean tides. These are of obvious influence if you’re a geoduck, a type of clam that people dig up at low tide.” ― Seth Shostak
8. “I don’t know if there are men on the moon, but if there are they must be using the earth as their lunatic asylum.” ― George Bernard Shaw
9. “If you strive for the moon, maybe you’ll get over the fence.” ― James Wood
Full moon quotes that are perfect for those Instagram pics
10. “When the moon is not full, the stars shine more brightly.” ― Unknown
11. “You have to be able to appreciate these things. How many people can say it was a full moon last night and appreciate it?” ― Sandy Miller
12. “The moon was a ghostly galleon tossed upon cloudy seas.” ― Alfred Noyes
13. “Everything has a natural explanation. The moon is not a god, but a great rock, and the sun a hot rock.” ― Anaxagoras
14. “But even when the moon looks like it’s waning…it’s actually never changing shape. Don’t ever forget that.” ― Ai Yazawa
15. “Yeah, we all shine on, like the moon, and the stars, and the sun.” ― John Lennon
16. “When the moon is not full, the stars shine more brightly.” ― Unknown
17. “From now on we live in a world where man has walked on the Moon. It’s not a miracle; we just decided to go.” ― Tom Hanks
18. “The sun, the moon and the stars would have disappeared long ago… had they happened to be within the reach of predatory human hands.” ― Henry Ellis
Short full moon quotes that are still powerful
19. “Moonlight drowns out all but the brightest stars.” ― J. R. R. Tolkien
20.”Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss it, you will land among the stars.” — Les Brown
21. “Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.” — Buddha
22. “The day, water, sun, moon, night – I do not have to purchase these things with money.” — Plautus
23. “If the Sun and Moon should ever doubt, they’d immediately go out.” — William Blake
24. “I pointed out to you the stars (the moon) and all you saw was the tip of my finger.” — Tanzania Proverb
25. “I like to think that the moon is there even if I am not looking at it.” — Albert Einstein
26. “You can be the moon and still be jealous of the stars.” — Gary Allan
27. “The moon looks upon many night flowers; the night flowers see but one moon.” — Jean Ingelow
28. “Every one is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody.” — Mark Twain
Beautiful full moon quotes
29. “I can hold a cup of sake on a full moon in Japan, and the reflection of the moon in that little cup can make me feel so enthusiastic about beauty. That one good, magical moment can give me enough to create other things like the teardrop earring or necklace.” ― Elsa Peretti
30. “Summer ends, and Autumn comes, and he who would have it otherwise would have high tide always and a full moon every night.” ― Hal Borland
31. “For most people, we often marvel at the beauty of a sunrise or the magnificence of a full moon, but it is impossible to fathom the magnitude of the universe that surrounds us.” ― Richard H. Baker
32. “I’ve never seen a moon in the sky that, if it didn’t take my breath away, at least misplaced it for a moment.” ― Colin Farrell
33. “The child often sees only what he already knows. He projects the whole of his verbal thought into things. He sees mountains as built by men, rivers as dug out with spades, the sun and moon as following us on our walks.” ― Jean Piaget
34. “The moon is at her full, and riding high; floods the calm fields with light. The airs that hover in the summer sky are all asleep tonight.” ― William Cullen Bryant
35. “Because of its gradient, it is the site of many spectacular waterfalls, like the Unchalli Falls, near which, on a full moon night in winter, you might even glimpse a moonbow – a rainbow generated from the moonlight. This is the river Aghanashini – the cleanser of sins.” ― Rohini Nilekani
36. “Worldly wealth is the Devil’s bait; and those whose minds feed upon riches recede, in general, from real happiness, in proportion as their stores increase, as the moon, when she is fullest, is farthest from the sun.” ― Robert Burton
37. “I suppose there were moonless nights and dark ones with but a silver shaving and pale stars in the sky, but I remember them all as flooded with the rich indolence of a full moon.” ― Willa Sibert Cather
38. “If you shoot for the stars and hit the moon, it’s OK. But you’ve got to shoot for something. A lot of people don’t even shoot.” ― Confucius
39. “Tell me what you feel in your room when the full moon is shining in upon you and your lamp is dying out, and I will tell you how old you are, and I shall know if you are happy.” ― Henri Frederic Amiel
Inspirational full moon quotes about spirituality, love, and loneliness
40. “Our great symbol for the Goddess is the moon, whose three aspects reflect the three stages in women’s lives and whose cycles of waxing and waning coincide with women’s menstrual cycles.” ― Carol P. Christ
41. “When I admire the wonders of a sunset or the beauty of the moon, my soul expands in the worship of the creator.” ― Mahatma Gandhi
42. “The Sun, Moon, and Stars are there to guide us.” ― Dennis Banks
43. “The ancients often believed a celestial event like an eclipse to be a bad omen, that the sun or the moon vanishing from the sky was a harbinger of disaster, a sign of devastation or destruction to come.” ― Jenna Wortham
44. “The moon is a friend for the lonesome to talk to.” ― Carl Sandburg
45. “The moon is the accomplice of all things related to the heart.” ― Walter Mercado
46. “The magnificent cosmos is a palace that has the sun and the moon as its lamps and the stars as its candles; time is like a rope or ribbon hung within it, on to which the Glorious Creator each year threads a new world.” ― Said Nursi
47. “We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature – trees, flowers, grass- grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence… We need silence to be able to touch souls.” ― Mother Teresa
48. “Just as future eclipses of the Sun and Moon are indicated in the present relations of those bodies, so are future earthly lives indicated in what now lives within us.” ― Rudolf Steiner
49. “Sooner and later you will see great changes made, dreadful horrors and vengeances. For as the Moon is thus led by its angel, the heavens draw near to the Balance.” ― Nostradamus
50. “I am tired, beloved, of chafing my heart against the want of you; of squeezing it into little ink drops, and posting it. And I scald alone, here, under the fire of the great moon.” ― Amy Lowell
What did you learn from these full moon quotes?
So does the moon actually affect people? It was believed that the lunar cycle could alter people’s moods, hence where the term lunatic comes from. However, that theory has been dismissed in scientific circles, but there are still some ways that people believe the moon affects humans. The AstroTwins at mbgmindfulness, explain how you can tap into the moon’s energy.
They point out that a new moon is a great time to make intentional plans for the future. Conversely, the full moon is a period of culmination and fruition, where you reap the work you have done.
For some, like The AstroTwins, the full moon is a “spiritual and energetic pinnacle of whatever you started when the sun and the moon united at the new moon.” They are not the only ones, as there were several full moon quotes that offered a spiritual outlook on the moon.
Another thing The AstroTwins suggest is what to say during a full moon. They say that “Words are powerful, and the full moon is a potent time for letting go of what’s no longer serving you. Write down a list of everything you want to release from your life, and read them aloud with intention, either in a full moon circle or solo. Say, “I release you!” or “Thank you for your service—you are free to move on!” Now you know what to say to the full moon!
Do you think the moon affects us? Can we tap into its energy and use it to our advantage? Share your thoughts in the comment section below.