These fog quotes will remind you that even though life can get confusing and hard to manage sometimes, those moments do not last forever.
Fog is a weather phenomenon that occurs tiny water droplets or ice crystals become suspended in the air at or near the surface of the earth. Fog, basically a type of low-lying cloud usually resembling a stratus cloud, is influenced by several factors. These include nearby bodies of water, topography, and wind conditions.
This shadowy, gloomy cloud is the reason there are so many metaphors about life and fog, referring to when life has got you down. These fog quotes also explain why we talk about brain fog and confusion.
Fog makes a great addition to setting scenes in literature, whether it’s a horror story a drama. There is just something unsettling about a dark and foggy night, that can really make a story. Even writing these works can induce a bit of a foggy brain, as you will see in the fog quotes about writing and stories!
Beyond the realm of regular brain fog, there is the more serious mental illness of depression. Keep reading for lots of fog quotes about depression and the mind in general.
Don’t forget to also check out these snow quotes for winter lovers.
Fog quotes about what ‘fog is’
1. “Fog is a cloud close to land or water. People cannot see well in fog.” ― Helen Frost
2. “Fog is a stratus cloud on the ground.” ― Steven L. Horstmeyer
3. “Fog is not water vapor but condensed liquid or solid water. If a fog is composed of small ice crystals it is termed frozen fog.” ― Steven L. Horstmeyer
4. “Fog is most common where water is plentiful and there is a cool surface to chill the air.” ― Steven L. Horstmeyer
5. “A trees get their sap water entirely through their roots, fog is only a substitute for rain when it condenses and drips on the ground.” ― Rutherford Platt
6. “Fog is my weakness, and every time there is low fog, I am out and about with my camera.” ― Om Malik
7. “I must go in. The fog is rising.” ― Emily Dickinson
Inspirational Fog quotes about love and life
8. “Sometimes we need the fog to remind ourselves that all of life is not black and white.” ― Jonathan Lockwood Huie
9. “The fog is clearing; life is a matter of taste.” ― Frank Wedekind
10. “When life is foggy, path is unclear and mind is dull, remember your breath. It has the power to give you the peace. It has the power to resolve the unsolved equations of life.” ― Amit Ray
11. “If you want to see what the fog hides in itself, don’t wait for the fog to disperse! Instead of waiting for something to happen in this short life, do something immediately! Enter the fog!” ― Mehmet Murat ildan
12. “Foggy road is a blessing because it is full of surprises and life is such a road! We are incredibly lucky that we all have an unknowable future!” ― Mehmet Murat Ildan
13. “The fog of life is provided as source of confusion to the mind so that we cannot rely on it and must turn to our feeling and intuitive selves.” ― Stephen Harrison
14. “Sometimes it is hard to see in life. If the fog rolls in we can’t see anything. Most people get caught up in life that they forget the purpose of life is to be happy.” ― Frederick Lenz
15. “I see a lot of fog and a few lights. I like it when life’s hidden. It gives you a chance to imagine nice things, nicer than they are.” ― Ben Hecht
16. “Love feels like this fog. It slinks in from some hidden place and silently overtakes me. It seems so dense, but when I reach into it, there’s nothing of substance. Then, before too long, it simply vanishes. That’s my perception of love.” ― Alex Z. Moores
17. “Adversity is much like fog in our lives, and sometimes God will use fog of adversity to teach and direct us.” ― David Byrd
18. “Sometimes when you lose your way in the fog, you end up in a beautiful place! Don’t be afraid of getting lost!” ― Mehmet Murat Ildan
19. “Love is a fog that burns with the first daylight of reality.” ― Charles Bukowski
20. “The weather varies between heavy fog and pale sunshine; My thoughts follow the exact same process.” ― Virginia Woolf
21. “To understand the fog, it helps to first understand the cloud.” ― David Byrd
22. “Fog may be unpleasant, and traveling in fog can be hazardous, but breathing fog cannot harm you.” ― Michael Allaby
Fog quotes about writing, stories, and other arts
23. “Writing is like driving at night in the fog. You can only see as far as your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.” ― E. L. Doctorow
24. “Most of us live in a fog. It’s like life is a movie we arrived to 20 minutes late. You know something important seems to be going on. But we can’t figure out the story. We don’t know what part we’re supposed to play or what the plot is.” ― John Eldredge
25. “The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure pure reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!” ― Bill Watterson
26. “Though they don’t always have to be set in fog, weather is incredibly important in ghost stories. As is suspense: you’ve got to turn the screw very, very slowly.” ― Susan Hill
27. “Why be in music, why write songs, if you can’t use them to explore life or an idealized vision of life? I believe a lot of our lives are spent asleep, and what I’ve been trying to do is hold on to those moments when a little spark cuts through the fog and nudges you.” ― Rufus Wainwright
28. “I’m one of those writers who can’t talk about what they’re working on. The entire four years I was writing ‘House of Sand and Fog,’ my wife never saw a word of it. I just have to keep it in the womb, and then everyone can have a crack at it.” ― Andre Dubus III
29. “I paint the fog – I think of its fresh moistness – its stillness – its mystery.” ― Douglas Lockwood
30. “I do so much music that it’s like a fog, and I can’t even remember all of it.” ― Yelawolf
Fog quotes about the mind and depression
31. “That’s the thing about depression: A human being can survive almost anything, as long as she sees the end in sight. But depression is so insidious, and it compounds daily, that it’s impossible to ever see the end. The fog is like a cage without a key.” ― Elizabeth Wurtzel
32. “I spend most of my time in a room alone where eight hours go by, and I have no sense of time. I work seven days a week, and I live in this sort of vague subconscious fog a lot.” ― Dan Gilroy
33. “This is a common misconception about antidepressants: many people believe they’re simply ‘happy pills’ that will wipe a person’s emotional slate clean. Used correctly, antidepressants can lift the fog of mental illness.” ― Andrew Shaffer
34. “With a foggy mind, you see nothing but fog!” ― Mehmet Murat Ildan
35. “The past is a fog on our minds. The future? A complete dream. We can’t neither guess the future, neither change the past.” — Shams Tabrizi
36. “You never realized how thick your fog was until it lifted.” ― J.R. Ward
37. “My mind is in a muddle. Like… thick fog. I can’t make sense to myself sometimes.” ― Edward D. Wood Jr.
38. “When you are happy, you feel the sunshine even inside the fog; when you are unhappy, you feel the fog even in the sunshine.” ― Mehmet Murat Ildan
39. “You fog the mind, you stir the soul.” ― Robbie Robertson
40. “Even as fog continues to lie in the valleys, so does ancient sin cling to the low places, the depressions in the world consciousness.” ― Dewitt Bodeen
More Fog quotes and sayings
41. “Truth is the torch that gleams through the fog without dispelling it.” ― Claude Adrien Helvetius
42. “Humans believe so many lies because we aren’t aware. We ignore the truth or we just don’t see the truth. When we are educated, we accumulate a lot of knowledge, and all that knowledge is just like a wall of fog that doesn’t allow us to perceive the truth, what really is.” ― Don Miguel Ruiz
43. “The fog of illusion, the fog of confusion is hanging all over the world.” — Van Morrison
44. “The truth is a fog, in which one man sees the heavenly host and the other one sees a flying elephant.” ― Terry Pratchett
45. “Faith is like radar that sees through the fog — the reality of things at a distance that the human eye cannot see.” ― Corrie Ten Boom
46. “Fear is like a giant fog. It sits on your brain and blocks everything – real feelings, true happiness, real joy. They can’t get through that fog. But you lift it, and buddy, you’re in for the ride of your life.” ― Albert Brooks
47. “The best ammunition against lies is the truth, there is no ammunition against gossip. It is like a fog and the clear wind blows it away and the sun burns it off.” ― Ernest Hemingway
48. “We can stick anything into the fog and make it look like a ghost.” ― Buddy Wakefield
49. “In nature, everything has a job. The job of the fog is to beautify further the existing beauties!” – Mehmet Murat Ildan
50. “Fog challenges human sight to look across it. Likewise, our destinations are hidden b the fog of our own sight. Rise, chase and win! ” – Unknown
What did you learn from these Fog quotes?
People use the term fog to describe depression because, as with actual fog it can be hard to see the end of the tunnel, or even what is going to happen in the immediate future. Fog can be dangerous because one cannot see things coming or see where they are going, so sometimes, the answer is just to give yourself a moment until it passes. That can be good advice for the fog quotes that act as a metaphor for life. Hopefully, these quotes reminded you that even though life can get confusing and hard to manage sometimes, those moments do not last forever.
How many decisions would you do differently if you had waited until having a little more information? We shouldn’t hold off making decisions because of fear, but sometimes, it is ok to make sure you have as much knowledge as you can.
Fog isn’t always bad though! As several of these quotes pointed out, there is a beauty that can found in it. Like the way it dances across the ground or lingers on the trees. Remember to try and find the good things in those tough situations and you will make your way out to the other side.
Feel free to leave some of your favorite fog quotes and sayings that didn’t make the list in the comment section below.