These distraction quotes are funny and something most of us can relate to.
There are also some eye-opening and powerful quotes about why it is important to stay focused.
Some of us have much shorter attention spans than our friends and family members. My family affectionately refers to me as a “squirrel.” I can be doing something and then very easily my attention gets diverted.
Like right now, I am writing this article, but I really want to clean off my kitchen island, and then the phone dings, and before you know it I am reorganizing all the cupboards while playing on my phone…
Clearly, getting distracted causes us to not reach our goals in a timely manner. But just what causes us to get distracted in the first place?
The causes vary, and some of them are internal, like our individual attention spans or our desire to do what we are doing. Other times, the distractions are external, and a little frivolous like the notifications from games on our phones.
Other external distractions are things that also need to get done, like cleaning, appointments, and activities we have scheduled. This is why some people argue that life itself is a distraction from our purpose, and you will find a few of these people expressing that thought in these distraction quotes.
Keep reading to find out when a distraction might be just what you need though, and how they can sometimes be beneficial.
Don’t forget to also check out these focus quotes that inspire epic concentration.
Short distraction quotes that are either funny or powerful
1. “You can’t do big things if you’re distracted by small things.” ― Anonymous
2. “Thinking is good for your mind, but too much thinking leads to distraction.” ― E. Habib
3. “Don’t let mediocrity distract you from greatness.” ― Asad Meah
4. “TV is a distraction from being awesome.” ― James Blacker
5. “Multi-tasking arises out of distraction itself.” ― Marilyn Vos Savant
6. “Acclaim is a distraction.” ― James Broughton
7. “I needed something—the distraction of another life—to alleviate fear.” ― Bret Easton Ellis, Lunar Park
8. “Sand was dribbling out of the bag of her attention, faster and faster.” ― Sarah Blake
9. “We are not that busy; we are just distracted.” ― Shawn Wells, The Energy Formula
10. “Are you healed or just distracted? Don’t confuse the two.” ― Steve Maraboli
Distraction quotes about love, peace, and destiny
11. “The most dangerous distractions are the ones you love, but that don’t love you back.” ― Warren Buffett
12. “Deep in the soul, below pain, below all the distraction of life, is a silence vast and grand – an infinite ocean of calm, which nothing can disturb. Nature’s own exceeding peace, which passes understanding. That which we seek with passionate longing, here and there, upward and outward; we find at last within ourselves.” ― Richard Maurice Bucke
13. “Say ‘no’ to distraction so you can say ‘yes’ to your destiny.” ― Thema Davis
14. “Love is your one and only goal everything else is a distraction.” ― J.R. Incer, Boost Your Brainpower 365
15. “We are always falling in love or quarreling, looking for jobs or fearing to lose them, getting ill and recovering, following public affairs. If we let ourselves, we shall always be waiting for some distraction or other to end before we can really get down to our work. The only people who achieve much are those who want knowledge so badly that they seek it while the conditions are still unfavorable. Favorable conditions never come.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory
16. “You are my distraction now, whether you want it or not. So take responsibility for it.” ― Melanie Sargsian, Lovember: A Collection of Short Love Stories
17. “Be careful because sometimes distractions can come into your life dressed as love and attention when it’s in fact a distraction.” ― Scarlet Jei Saoirse
18. “In any academic field, it’s either fall in love with books and avoid engaging in emotional affairs with people, or vice versa, but you can’t possibly focus on both at the same time because love is so powerful that it can cause distraction.” ― Godwin Elijah
19. “Truly paying attention to something or someone makes it or them seem as big as the universe.” ― Mokokoma Mokhonoana
20. “You are my addiction. You are my muse. My worst distraction. My poetry & hues” ― Avijeet Das
Distraction quotes on the downside of being distracted and why you should avoid it
21. “You can’t do big things if you’re distracted by small things.” ― Anonymous
22. “The age in which we live, this non-stop distraction, is making it more impossible for the young generation to ever have the curiosity or discipline because you need to be alone to find out anything.” ― Vivienne Westwood
23. “Distraction wastes our energy, concentration restores it.” ― Sharon Salzberg
24. “Work is hard. Distractions are plentiful. And time is short.” ― Adam Hochschild
25. “The result of information overload is usually a distraction, and it dilutes your focus and takes you off your game.” ― Zig Ziglar
26. “People allow themselves to get distracted; I think ultimately, probably the biggest thing that gets in the way of people doing at any point in time is distraction.” ― David Allen
27. “When I meet with the founders of a new company, my advice is always, ‘Do fewer things,’ it’s true of partnerships, marketing opportunities, anything that’s taking up your time. The vast majority of things are distractions, and very few really matter to your success.” ― Evan Williams
28. “Distractions destroy action. If it’s not moving you towards your purpose, leave it alone.” ― Jermaine Riley
29. “Disconnect from everything long enough to see if it feeds your soul or if it’s a distraction. What’s deeply connected will always remain.” ― Maryam Hasnaa
30. “When there are thoughts, it is distraction: when there are no thoughts, it is meditation.” ― Ramana Maharshi
Distraction quotes about how it can be good sometimes
31. “A little distraction we need, to destroy what we believe.” ― Priyanshu
32. “Follow the wandering, the distraction, find out why the mind has wandered; pursue it, go into it fully. When the distraction is completely understood, then that particular distraction is gone. When another comes, pursue it also.” ― Jiddu Krishnamurti
33. “I need distractions. Good distractions, not bad ones. A good distraction for me is a great play.” ― Danny Aiello
34. “I don’t think you go to a play to forget, or to a movie to be distracted. I think life generally is a distraction and that going to a movie is a way to get back, not go away.” ― Tom Noonan
35. “All profound distraction opens certain doors. You have to allow yourself to be distracted when you are unable to concentrate.” ― Julio Cortázar, Around the Day in Eighty Worlds
36. “Take an occasional holiday from what you love or you’ll end up hating what you love.” ― Marty Rubin
37. “In nature, every distraction is an inspiration.” ― Michael Bassey Johnson, Song of a Nature Lover
38. “Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.” ― Elbert Hubbard
39. “Immersing oneself in the problems of a book is a good way to keep from thinking of love.” ― Orhan Pamuk
40. “One man’s distraction is another man’s refuge.” ― Khang Kijarro Nguyen
Distraction quotes about the past, letting go, and addiction
41. “An addiction to distraction is the end of your creative production.” ― Robin Sharma
42. “The past is a distraction, a source of envy, enmity, bitterness. Only the present matters, for only in the present can we shape the future. Cut loose the past; it is dead weight. Let the Extirpation continue. Let it never end.” ― Stephen Baxter
43. “When a person can’t find a deep sense of meaning, they distract themselves with pleasure.” ― Viktor Frankl
44. “We fight too many battles that don’t matter. If the battle is not between you and your destiny, then it is a distraction. You have to learn to let things go.” ― Joel Osteen
45. “Less distraction, more focus. Less gossip, more encouragement. Less past, more future. Less toxicity, more positivity.” ― Robin Sharma
46. “Clever gimmicks of mass distraction yield a cheap soulcraft of addicted and self-medicated narcissists.” ― Cornel West
47. “As we hone the ability to let go of distraction, to begin again without rancor or judgment, we are deepening forgiveness and compassion for ourselves. And in life, we find we might make a mistake, and more easily begin again, or stray from our chosen course and begin again.” ― Sharon Salzberg
48. “When people can’t bury themselves with work, they can’t run away from their feelings and all it needs is a little free time to reveal who they are.” ― Sarvesh Jain
49. “Don’t allow distractions and temptations misguide you & satisfy you for a brief moment. Be strong & stay focused.” ― Genereux Philip
50. “Goals for the future distract from worry and anger about the past and redirect your focus to the direction you’re traveling in.” ― Sam Owen
What did you learn from these no distraction quotes
The case has been made that it requires focus and dedication to reach your goals and dreams. Distractions are certainly little roadblocks along the way, but is there a time when they are just the thing you need to move you forward? Have you ever tried to remember the lyrics of a song, or something you were just about to say, and they slip away from you?
The first thing we do is think about something else, and then WHAM a few minutes later it comes to you! I was working on a book about my traumatic childhood, and struggling with where to start. I got some advice from a writer’s group I was a part of, and she said to “start write some other story about anything.”
The idea here was that it would distract me from the problem I was focused on, and allow my brain to come up with the answer. So, if you feel like you have been trying to solve something for a while and are hitting a roadblock, a brief distraction might be just the ticket!
It is also possible to use work and your goals to distract you from life. People do this when there is some emotion or situation they do not want to face or heal from. Bury ourselves in tasks and goals might seem like a positive solution, but the truth is this behavior is also harmful to our mental health because we can suffer from perfectionism and burnout.
If there is something weighing on your mind, causing you to remain constantly distracted with work, a therapist might be just what you need. They have the skills and tools to help you work through whatever is bothering you and help you find balance.
Share some of your favorite distractions, and how you stay focused, in the comment section below.