If you were a teenager in the 90s, then you are most likely familiar with Britney Spears. She is a pop culture icon, and a cautionary tale about the hardship that child stars face in the entertainment industry. She has been a performer for a long time, so it makes sense that a lot of these Britney Spears quotes reference her journey to fame.
Britney began her singing and dancing career at a young age. She began attending dance lessons in her hometown of Kentwood, Louisiana, at age 3. Spears’ stage debut happened at age five when she sang “What Child Is This?” at her kindergarten graduation. She also took part in gymnastics and voice lessons. She competed in, and won, several state-level competitions and talent shows.
They rejected her the first time she auditioned for The Mickey Mouse Club, because, at age 8, casting director Matt Casella felt she was too young. This led to her studying at the Professional Performing Arts School and moving to New York. Two years later she earned a spot on The Mickey Mouse Club, along with Christina Aguilera, Justin Timberlake, Ryan Gosling, and Keri Russell. Most of us 90s kids can remember those famous names singing M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E!
Shortly after that, Britney began her solo career. It was incredibly successful until it became apparent that she was under extreme stress and suffering from some personal demons. The world realized just how much Britney was hurting during her infamous 2007 breakdown. Keep reading these Britney Spears quotes to hear some of her own words during that trying time.
Don’t forget to also check out these Summer Walker quotes from the music industry sensation.
Britney Spears quotes about love and relationships
1. “With love, you should go ahead and take the risk of getting hurt because love is an amazing feeling.” ― Britney Spears
2. “Love is love! People should be able to do whatever makes them happy!” ― Britney Spears
3. “I believe in the fairy tale… Love is a hard one. I don’t really understand love as far as relationships. With my kids, it’s just unconditional, and that’s hard to find. It takes two people just loving each other a lot. Unfortunately, I haven’t been given that in a really long time. I’m not really the person to ask what it takes to get married, but personally, for me, it’s about loving each other and communicating right, and being respectful and more honest.” ― Britney Spears
4. “When you go through heartbreak, you just do the things that get you by. Eventually, you realize it’s about making the most of life.” ― Britney Spears
5. “I’m attracted to guys who are really confident and make conversation.” ― Britney Spears
6. “When people get too personal, it bothers me. But I’m not ashamed at all to say that I love him from the bottom of my heart. As far as love is concerned with him, too much is not enough. He’s everything.” ― Britney Spears
7. “When you’re really comfortable with someone you love, the silence is the best. And that’s how me and J are. When we’re in a room, we don’t have to say anything. It’s for real.” ― Britney Spears
8. “Love is just an unexplainable thing and there’s a saying that I have in my bathroom in Louisiana… It says ‘Go beyond reason to love, for it’s the only safety there is.’ And it’s true, you should always go beyond reason to love and to be with the person you want to be with and to be cherished and to be treasured. I think it’s why we’re here as people.” ― Britney Spears
9. “Bottom line: If you love yourself, it will all work out.” ― Britney Spears
Funny and strange Britney Spears quotes that had us shaking our heads
10. “I’ve never really wanted to go to Japan. Simply because I don’t like eating fish. And I know that’s very popular out there in Africa.” ― Britney Spears
11. “I always listen to ‘NSYNC’s “Tearin’ Up My Heart.” It reminds me to wear a bra.” ― Britney Spears
12. “In my dream, I needed an alarm clock. Maybe that was a sign that I needed to, you know, get an alarm clock.” ― Britney Spears
13. “My favorite kind of Pepsi? Pepsi’s Pepsi.” ― Britney Spears
14. “At night, that’s when you mess up. So if you go to bed at 9.30, you’re good.” ― Britney Spears
15. “Snake update: I’ve heard she’s alive and well, and that her name is Banana! This makes me smile.” ― Britney Spears
16. “The cool thing about being famous is traveling. I have always wanted to travel across seas, like to Canada and stuff.” ― Britney Spears
17. “If I was to pick a cartoon character I am most like, I would say Daisy Duck because she is very stubborn, she has a very feminine sense, and she knows what she likes.” ― Britney Spears
18. “Sundance is weird. The movies are weird — you actually have to think about them when you watch them.” ― Britney Spears
Telling and inspirational Britney Spears quotes about fame
19. “I can’t go anywhere without someone judging me.” ― Britney Spears
20. “Whoever is in the spotlight, people are really quick to judge. I mean, there are a lot of kids coming up who’ve experienced that. You know, Justin Bieber, he’s huge, and he experiences that. It’s just the way the world works, unfortunately.” ― Britney Spears
21. “I would like to be called an inspiration to people, not a role model – because I make mistakes like everybody else. When I’m offstage, I’m just like everybody else.” ― Britney Spears
22. “I think with anybody who’s doing well in the public eye or whatever, there’s always gonna be a shift because people don’t wanna see somebody happy all the time. And they’re gonna try to take shots at people.” ― Britney Spears
23. “I was so under scrutiny. If a hair was out of place, I’d be so anxious. I would get very anxious about so many things.” ― Britney Spears
24. “Traveling around the world is really strenuous for me, being in a different bed every night, flying and everything.” ― Britney Spears
25. “I have “come back” [to music scene] so many times, people are just like, Is this another one?… It’s kind of like a joke to me now.” ― Britney Spears
26. “It’s important to learn to say no. With tours and all of that stuff, there are so many aspects that go into it, it’s easy to have so many people around you saying, ‘Oh yes, yes, you can afford this, you can afford this,’ and then all of the sudden you’ve spent $20 million on your stage, and you’re like, ‘Where’s my money?’” ― Britney Spears
27. “Being famous is just a job.” ― Britney Spears
28. “I just sing what I’m feeling at the time and hope my fans will like that and appreciate that.” ― Britney Spears
Insightful Britney Spears quotes about who she is
29. “I definitely like to go out and dance. I’m a big vibe person when it comes to music, so a song really has to make me feel a certain way in order for me to fall in love with it.” ― Britney Spears
30. “I don’t allow anybody to change me. I still walk outta my house in rollers and I take walks. I do not care what people think.” ― Britney Spears
31. “I think it’s an okay thing to express yourself.” ― Britney Spears
32. “I have my relationship with God and myself, and that’s what matters to me. I really don’t care what most people think.” ― Britney Spears
33. “I don’t like going out. I hate clubs. I hate being around too many people. I love my home and staying in bed and watching ‘Dancing With the Stars’ or reading a Danielle Steel novel.” ― Britney Spears
34. “Every night, I have to read a book so that my mind will stop thinking about things that I stress about.” ― Britney Spears
35. “When I’m under stress, I do yoga. It’s when I’m happiest that I have a problem with junk food.” ― Britney Spears
36. “I always wanted to be a singer, it’s what I wanted to do since I was little. I’m doing it now and I couldn’t be happier.” ― Britney Spears
37. “It’s in my blood to perform.” ― Britney Spears
38. “Onstage I’m the happiest person in the world.” ― Britney Spears
39. “I wish my hair was thicker, and I wish my feet were prettier. My toes are really ugly. I wish my ears were smaller. And my nose could be smaller too.” ― Britney Spears
40. “For me, success is a state of mind. I feel like success isn’t about conquering something; it’s being happy with who you are.” ― Britney Spears
Britney Spears quotes and sayings about staying true to herself
41. “I know not everyone will like me, but this is who I am so if you don’t like it, tough!” ― Britney Spears
42. “You’ll never see it my way because you’re not me!” ― Britney Spears
43. “I don’t like defining myself. I just am.” ― Britney Spears
44. “I’m pretty normal. The type of day I love is just like everybody else’s. I’m like everybody else.” ― Britney Spears
45. “Whereas before I was a young, blonde girl who would do what she was told. I know who I am as a person and I’m getting damn strong.” ― Britney Spears
46. “I have no regrets. I find everything happens for a reason, and the reason why maybe this is happening is I won’t take BS from anyone. And I think it’s making me stand out on my own and be very independent and fight for what I believe in.” ― Britney Spears
47. “I have to live my life. I have a family and I just think it’s absurd to let other people influence the way you live.” ― Britney Spears
48. “I dress the way I want. I don’t pretend to be someone I’m not.” ― Britney Spears
49. “I’m still the same person I’ve always been.” ― Britney Spears
50. “I’m a hometown girl, and my personality at home is the opposite of the performer in me.” ― Britney Spears
What did you learn from these Britney Spears quotes?
Britney shaved her head, started saying some weird things, and the world kind of watched like the looky-loos who crane their necks to watch a car wreck. We couldn’t seem to help ourselves, as the ‘Princess of Pop’ seemed to unravel in the most public way. However, in hindsight, what Britney needed was some love and support as she was undergoing deeply personal challenges with little privacy and empathy.
She witnessed several physical fights between her parents when she was a child and was understandably traumatized. She was suffering from anxiety and mental health issues exacerbated by the pressure of fame. They prescribed her medicine, but she didn’t take it as often as she needed to. She also underwent a public breakup and subsequent divorce from Kevin Federline.
She also lost custody of her kids because of her erratic behavior and was involuntarily placed under a conservatorship. Life hasn’t been easy for Britney since, as she continues to battle the legal system and get herself removed from the conservatorship, which is controlled by her father. This sparked a Free Britney movement on social media, with fans worried once again about her health.
One thing that fans haven’t had to worry about is Britney’s musical talents, as she has had some successful gigs, including a Las Vegas residency, and records in the years since. Hopefully, Britney will come out of this ok and reclaim her life on her terms.
What did you learn from these Britney Spears quotes and lyrics? Do you have any other favorite quotes to add? Let us know in the comment section below.