Are you looking for the best and most popular Annie Oakley quotes? This is the article you are searching for!
Even at the start of the 20th century, women had been making a name in fields mostly dominated by men. One of them is the popular Annie Oakley, a sharpshooter whose name become renowned in the international scene.
Oakley came from an impoverished family in Ohio. She honed her hunting and sharpshooting skills so that she could provide a decent living for her family. As a child, she competed in many shooting contests.
She was once an opponent of marksman Frank E. Butler whom she later on married. The two then toured around Europe and showed off their sharpshooting skills to royalties and many prominent people.
One of her outstanding performances was when the audience witnessed her shooting out a cigar from Butler’s lips. She was also lauded for splitting a playing card edge-on at 30 paces.
Read on to know more about her through these Annie Oakley quotes.
Don’t forget to also check out these inspirational quotes for women on strength and leadership.
The Most Famous Annie Oakley Quotes to Motivate You Towards Success
1. “Aim for the high mark and you will hit it.” – Annie Oakley
2. “For me, sitting still is harder than any kind of work.” – Annie Oakley
3. “Why I have been told three different times by various doctors that I would never get on a horse again! But I always did.” – Annie Oakley
4. “I was eight years old when I made my first shot, and I still consider it one of the best shots I ever made.” – Annie Oakley
5. “I aim to misbehave.” – Annie Oakley
6. “When a man hits a target, they call him a marksman. When I hit a target, they call it a trick. Never did like that much.” – Annie Oakley
7. “I ain’t afraid to love a man. I ain’t afraid to shoot him either.” – Annie Oakley
8. “No, not the first time, not the second time, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting for only practice will make you perfect. Finally, you’ll hit the bulls-eye of success.” – Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley quotes and sayings about men, women, and family
9. “If love means that one person absorbs the other, then no real relationship exists anymore.” – Annie Oakley
10. “Being a good mother does not call for the same qualities as being a good housewife; a dedication to keeping children clean and tidy may override an interest in their separate development as individuals.” – Annie Oakley
11. “I would like to see every woman know how to handle guns as naturally as they know how to handle babies.” – Annie Oakley
12. “Even in the best and most peacefully civilized countries, many occasions arise when a woman versed in the knowledge and use of firearms may find that information and skill of great importance.” – Annie Oakley
13. “There are always women who will take men on their own terms. If I were a man, I wouldn’t bother to change while there are women like that around.” – Annie Oakley
14. “Clearly, society has a tremendous stake in insisting on a woman’s natural fitness for the career of a mother: the alternatives are all too expensive.” – Annie Oakley
15. “God intended women to be outside as well as men, and they do not know what they are missing when they stay cooped up in the house.” – Annie Oakley
16. “Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life.” – Annie Oakley
17. “Housework is work directly opposed to the possibility of human self-actualization.” – Annie Oakley
18. “Love evaporates; there is nothing left to love. The integrity of self is gone.” – Annie Oakley
19. “Families are nothing other than the idolatry of duty.” – Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley quotes about herself
20. “I was born on September 27, 1918, the second of five children.” – Annie Oakley
21. “My mother…was perfectly horrified when I began shooting and tried to keep me in school, but I would run away and go quail shooting in the woods or trim my dresses with wreaths of wildflowers.” – Annie Oakley
22. “I went all to pieces under the care of a home.” – Annie Oakley
23. “My mother and sisters thought my prowess with the gun was just a little tomboyish.” – Annie Oakley
24. “After traveling through fourteen foreign countries and appearing before all the royalty and nobility I have only one wish today. That is that when my eyes are closed in death that they will bury me back in that quiet little farmland where I was born.” – Annie Oakley
25. “A crowned queen was never treated with more reverence than I was by those whole-souled western boys…And for seventeen long years I was just their little sister, sharing both their news of joy and sorrow from home.” – Annie Oakley
26. “I am, indeed, very grateful for your many kind words in my obituary. How such a report started, I do not know.” – Annie Oakley
27. “I can guarantee a regiment of women for home protection.” – Annie Oakley
Quotes About Annie Oakley
28. “The London Evening News reported Oakley was “far and away” the best shot in the show, surpassing the performance of her rival Lillian Smith.” – History.com
29. “Although vocal in battling discrimination in the economic arena and advocating the participation of women in the military, she did not speak out for the right of women to vote.” – History.com
30. “Annie helped support her family by shooting game in the nearby woods and selling it to a local shopkeeper. Her marksmanship paid off the mortgage on her mother’s house and led her to enter a shooting match with touring champion on Thanksgiving Day 1875.” – pbs.org
What did you learn from these Annie Oakley quotes?
All the Annie Oakley quotes are considered empowering among women. The American sharpshoot also inspired men who are into the shooting industry. They see her as an inspiration and an iconic model in developing their crafts.
Oakley was also highly renowned for advocating for self-defense among women. She strongly rallied on marksmanship among women. When Oakley med an accident, she had to halt performing more taxing sharpshooting techniques.
She took the time off her work and toured for the adaptation of her story in plays and musicals. Her story has captured many producers of plays. Even after she died, Oakley’s story has been adapted in major stage musicals and films. One of the most popular is Annie Get Your Gun.
These Annie Oakley quotes and sayings will surely encourage you to know more about sharpshooting and inspire you to make a difference as a woman.